30 November 2008

MeMoiRs of LaBuAnG BaJi HoSpiTaL

Last week, me and my 13 friends were assigned to ‘work’ at Labuang Baji hospital.
It took almost an hour ride from my apartment to get there
[Yeah, it’s so far away! I took da time to sleep. So if u ask me how exactly to get there, I don’t know cuz I’ve slept in da cab when I’m on da way to get there and on da way home. huhu]


Sunday
We arrived at 7.oo am.
As I reached da pediatric ward, I saw lots of people gathered at the entrance.
Some were crying…
Some were anxious…
And I saw two of my colleagues standing beside a girl who seems to be 11 years old.
The girl was lying on a bed, with two IV lines connected to her right hand and her left leg.
I began to feel unease.
This seems bad…..
The girl was in hypovolemic shock.
Few minutes went by….
My friends were doing what they were supposed to do, which is giving the girl more and more fluids via her IV.
But unfortunately, she died.
Loud cries stung our ears.
The girl’s mum fell unconscious.
And so starts our day at LB.
I and my friends look at each other.
THIS IS A BAD SIGN….
Our week had begun with the end of a girl.
Oh, what a beginning!


We divided ourselves into two groups. And here’s our schedule
M > Morning 7.oo a.m. – 2.oo p.m.
D > Day 2.oo p.m. – 9.oo p.m.
N > Night 9.oo p.m. – 7.oo a.m.
Kinda 'packed up' rite?


Still, it's a lot better than the other week where i had to stay at da maternity hosptial from saturday 2 p.m. till 2 p.m. da next saturday!!

Monday
Met da witch for da first time.
We were ‘petrified’ in front of her for two hours.
I hear everything but absorb nothing.
She scolded us cuz something we never know we had to do...
As I was da chief, I was called many times as we were so ‘unorganized’.
Yeah, it’s my fault for not knowing what to do…
I should’ve asked my friends who was there last week.
Arghhh…



Tuesday
Nothing much. Patients come n go like in da ‘Touch n Go’ toll line.

my sphygmo was 'crazy' so Mr 'know it all' fix it for me!

see! it's back to normal!


Wednesday
Smallest baby i've ever met wuz sent to the hospital! only six hundred grams!!!!!!!

and to compare with this four kg baby! what a difference!
Anyway, my tutor was da one on duty dat evening!
When he knew I’m his tutee, he asked me to study.
“We will discuss after I ate” he said.
My heart played da original ‘lup dup lup dup’ song so fast that i swear it rhymes with eminem's song!
Owh, I’m SOOO NOT ready!
Yeah, I had been in ‘pediatric’ for six weeks but I felt like I know nothing.
During discussion, he asked me to ask him anything.
[My five friends were also there, following our discussion. It’s not easy to get a chance to discuss with the residents. They were always busy!]
How can I ask when I haven’t study well yet?
I manage to ask something, and then he’ll answered and ask me back.
Thankfully I manage to give some right answers. And when I couldn’t answer, my friends helped me.
There was one time he said '
Don’t embarrass me'
Hehe…
My beloved tutor left me few home works, which I accept with open hands.
It will help me to learn more, right?
That day, my tutor had taught us so much.
He also redirects our diagnosis.


First case
My friend thought it was Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever
[But he ‘forgot’ to check da patient’s lymph nodes]
When the doctor looks at da boy, he palpates it and found few lumps.
He said ‘this is maybe leukimia’ then look at me n my friend ‘find out more about it, ok?’
Oh, more homework!


Second case
I receive a patient who came from other hospital with bronchopneumonia.
When I told him, he didn’t believe it [it’s his nature NOT to believe other people. But it’s kinda good cuz he’s brilliant]
He asked few questions and check da patient carefully.
Then he wrote Asthma Bronchial in da patient’s status.
And even though he didn’t ask me to study the case, I felt a responsibility to learn about it.
Oh, there’s so much I had to find out!


Thursday
Witch was mad cuz we failed to follow up her patients.
We had went to da ward and asked ‘Is there any pediatric patients here?’
Da nurses said ‘yeah, there’s one’
Turns out there were exactly three patients!
Da witch was so mad.
And we were ‘petrified’ again in front of her; standing like a stone and listens to her blabs.

During shifts, we were prohibited to left da ‘wooden table’.
So this is our activities when we were there [when there's no new patient or no complaints from da parents about their kids being sicker or anything else]

Harry was 'sms'ing his cute little 'baby monkey'




esha was drawing beautiful clothes designs while fajrul was playing games on his phones

winnie was sleeping [as usual]

Kak wani listening to her Mp5

and me? pretending to study? haha...

this day Iman was sick... pity her.... but she's fine now. alhamdulillah..


Friday
Before six pm, everything was ok.
At six p.m., 5 patients came!
Every patient must be checked from head to toe and anamneses had to be done [asking questions about da patients’ symptoms and history of medications].

And we had to check every ward at seven p.m.!
[Patients with rich parents were placed at the other building, and they were spread from da first floor till da fourth floor]

It was so hectic!
My shifts ends at 9 but our friends [night shift] came late.
And we stop by to buy some sate as we [me, iman, kak wani and harry] were so hungry.
By da time we want to went home, there was no pete2 [public transport which is a van modified to occupy 12 passengers] to our home.
So we had to take da cab [which was so expensive].
And to add our bad luck, we was stuck in traffic jam.
We reached home at 11.3O p.m.
Owh, I‘m so tired!

Saturday
Witch was angry [again?!?!]
I forgot why she was angry cuz I don’t wanna hear her shrieking voice [maybe I remember, but I don’t wanna write about it]
She said we were liars.
She said ’u guys can talk behind my back. I didn’t meant to find your mistakes but God showed me your mistakes’
Da whole time she talks, I was thinking ‘Say whatever you want, wicked witch. This is da last time we met. Hehe’

Sunday
Though our shift officially ends at 7a.m., we left at eight.
We settle some chores and left some advices for our friends who replaced us.
Hope they don’t get scolded like us!
I reach home at 9a.m., take a bath and went to Wahidin Sudirohusodo Hospital at 2p.m. [it is located in front of my apartment.]
Unluckily, I had to work there at the emergency ward till 9p.m.
Oh, what a day!
Sigh~

No comments: